Thursday, March 6, 2008

How To Recognize A Good Speech.

Good Morning: How to recognize a good speech. After high school I took 4 years of public speaking. They were weekly classes that lasted about 2 hours. I can say that I recognize a good speech when I hear one.

Think of a speech as boxed in a square and each side representing a specific part of the speech.

The first part is, “The Introduction”.
Introduce yourself and keep it short and to the point.

The second part is, “The Specific Purpose Statement”.
Try to keep it 3 to 6 words and to be crystal clear. If you want people to remember the topic, do not elaborate on it; keep the topic crystal clear, and keep it short. For example, “My subject is, The Dutchman’s Lost Mine”. Tell them what your are going to tell them.

The third part is, “The Body of The Speech”. Here is where you will use the bulk of time for your speech. This is wide open but should be well organized. I prefer using an outline and there are many types of outlines that you can use. I don’t like a speech that rambles unless there is a definite purpose to it. Like an occasional joke. It is best if jokes are spontaneous. Here are a few instant speech outlines just as examples especially if you are called upon to give an impromptu speech.

1. Spiritual vs. Physical.

2. Talk about yourself. You are the authority.
Break it into the past, the present, and your future plans.
That’s a complete outline for a speech.

3. Birds compared to dinosaurs.
This could be a fabulous speech.

4. Good health vs. illness.

The fourth part is, “The Conclusion”.
Now you tell them what you told them. Keep it very brief but well summarized. A good summary will crystallize your speech.

In closing I would like to invite you to one of my adventures. Just go here and enjoy the journey.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky









No comments: