Sunday, March 9, 2008

Butterfly Gardening In Southwest Florida

Good Morning: I can’t keep this confined to one page so I will only discuss one aspect of butterfly gardening. I am in my fourth year of butterfly gardening as a hobby. I entered into the hobby due to circumstances. I was forced out of my home due to Hurricane Charlie. It and my possessions went by-by with the hurricane. I am now renting my daughters house and taking care of the yard and gardens. So I decided that I would start a butterfly garden. I went through catalogs of plants and ordered butterfly plants and milk weed plants. None of the butterfly flower plants worked here in Southwest Florida. The only plant that I had partial success with was the Mexican milk weed. Along with the milkweed plant came an insect that completely devoured the plants before the butterfly worms could feast. See the link, it will show you a picture of the little varmints. Also I am trying to be organic with the garden. With this area of bugs, it’s a real challenging battle. Next year I may not have any milkweed plants. I’m already seeing the early onset of destruction of them and I’m going to let them go. The Monarch Butterfly will have to go elsewhere or use other leaves for food.

I had 6 cassava plants growing along my fence and they were beautiful until a high wind came along and blew them all down; every one of them. Last year I have replaced them with a row of Jatropha which is a tree bush that blooms beautiful red flowers all year long and the butterflies love them. In addition to them I have planted Lantana. When I lived in Texas I pulled them up as weeds. They are a very hardy plant and do well in this climate. They stink, but bloom profusely and many different colors. They are good for training on the fences. One more plant that I have included is the blue Plumbago. It is beautiful and blooms all the time; also a good fence plant. As I said earlier I live in South West Florida and you my not have the same success but need plants more suitable to your area.

My butterfly garden doesn’t look at all like it did when I started with it, but after the fourth year it is looking pretty nice. Hopefully it will endure during this drought and water rationing. We can only water once a week and I’m not sure my garden will survive this summer unless the summer rains return.

Remember that in the internet business, like a garden is not static; and by it’s very nature it will change and you must be ready to change with it if you want to succeed. Go here and take a look at a very dynamic business that will help you get started in the internet business. Most of the classes are free and will be a great aid in getting you started.

If you think you are ready for a business go here.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky

No comments: