Monday, March 10, 2008

Gardening In Southwest Florida

Good Morning: My experience with small gardening in Southwest Florida covers the last 20 years. I have learned that it is best to work with plants that are native to the area. They have to be tough to survive. Even though we have a year around growing climate, all plants do not do well in all seasons. I plant garden food crops for my self in the spare spaces in my butterfly garden. The leafy crops like lettuce and cabbage do best during the winter months. I am able to eat lettuce out of my garden for about 3 to 4 months out of the year. I just let the lettuce bolt and go to seed for my next year’s crop of lettuce. It works well for me. They come up when they want to. I have about 3 pimento pepper plants, 2 are 3 years old and produce lots of nice pimento peppers. Then I have jalapeƱo peppers that do pretty well and I also have an ornamental pepper that is 2 years old and doing quite well. I also have green onions year around that I eat from my garden when I want them.

One thing nice about this area is that I can grow pineapple and do have about a dozen plants scattered in my garden. The only problem being is that they take up a lot of room. I start my new plants from the tops of pineapples that I eat from my garden or buy from the grocery store. It is very easy to start pineapple plants. Just cut the plant off the top of the pineapple, taking about an inch of the top of the pineapple with the plant. That will give the plant a boost while it develops roots. When planting, put it in the soil about 2 to 3 inches deep, roots will develop from between the lower leaves that are in the soil. Leave the plant in the shade for at least a week, and then it can be put in the sun, but must be kept watered. I start all of my plants that way and nearly all grow. They like and do well in a rich soil.

Now let’s get back to business
; my web site is in the process of developing into My Gateway To Business. Keep an eye on it as I will add to it from time to time, and maybe delete from it. You can go to my web site by clicking on my signature below.

Thank you for reading my blog: Brad Vigansky

No comments: